Saturday, February 6, 2010

My 23 year old "boss"

Yesterday my job was moved to the Admissions office with hopes that they were better organized then the Financial Aid office. They were, and I was in no position to turn down work. My contact turned out to be the 23 year old administrative asst for the group. But I didn’t know that yet, because she didn’t really introduce herself when she picked me up from the reception desk. Yes – is does start out like I am in First Grade and someone has to come and fetch me. I am a good sport about that by now.

The feathers were ruffled when she gave me an assignment that was too easy. The challenging part about temping to me is that everyone treats you like you are stupid. Maybe I am taking it too personally – but here are my two examples – you decide.

One was my “easy” assignment of filling a large pile of papers into the “elusive” set of corresponding manila folders that were in a series of cabinets. Just the dream job I wanted from my last post - seriously. I was excited. Finally, a gig where I could make some progress.

I was the little fairy in the hall – filing my heart out, opening and closing drawers and trying to stay out of the way. No one would acknowledge or make eye contact with me, so it was easy to plough through my work. I was the little filing fairy on the bottom rung of the Admissions office caste system. People wanted their files organized with the proper paperwork, but they didn’t want to know HOW it happened.

And Ashley was busy. Truly – she did seem to have her shit together for a 23 year old, and I don't think she wanted to be in charge of my activities in the first place. So when I told her there were no corresponding files for my paperwork, she exhaled loudly, and in the loudest voice I had heard her use yet, said, “Nevermind- I’ll do it. It would be easier for me, I know where they go.” SLAM! Wow - I didn’t even see that coming.

I was proud of myself when I responded in a calm and reflecting voice, “it’s not that its hard, but there are no corresponding folders”.
Okay – I wanted to say. I know where you TOLD me they go, but apparently that isn’t good enough now. (I have come a long way since getting kicked out of Girl Scouts, but more on that later)

My good manners and astute filing paid off, and we finally worked out a groove where she was farming off projects to me as I finished my work. She probably wasn’t prepared for my drive and determination. 

I set up scenario two next post. I have to get ready to go to Greune Hall. Its a real live Country and Western Dance Hall! The bar is more a dance hall, Texas’s most famous dance hall called Greune Hall.

It was just featured a few months ago in the lifestyle magazine Texas Monthly, and a guy at the library just told me about it. Texans are very proud of it – but sooooo many people have talked about it. I would how can it not be a tourist trap? In Chicago, this type of venue would definitely be a tourist trap. I mean look what they did with Navy Pier. That used to be a functioning pier right? And now – just a tourist trap with McDonalds and flat iron kiosks. So off to the dance hall to meet real cowboys….

No comments:

Post a Comment